Yep, days are growing short and there’s a bit of nip in the air. This is the time fishermen dream of when their prey inches to the top of the lake and are hungry as can be.
Lake Petit has a good share of rainbow trout swimming in its grottos and daily catches are begging for a little autumn veggie color to brighten the plate.
Here’s a hearty fall recipe from Fresh Fish Kitchen to place on your pumpkin squash laden table.
Fall Harvest Rainbow Trout
- 2 4-6 ounce trout fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup spaghetti squash, cooked and scraped out of the hull
- ½ cup red and yellow beets, washed, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick on a mandolin slicer
- ¼ cup carrots, peeled, and sliced on the bias, ¼ inch thin
- ½ cup black lentils, cooked until tender
- 1 cup arugula
- In a preheated grill pan or BBQ on medium-high heat, place trout fillets skin side down. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip over and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- While trout is cooking, add olive oil to a medium-size skillet and sauté beets and carrots on medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. (Sautéing the red beets separately will prevent bleeding onto the other vegetables.)
- Divide the arugula between two plates.
- Place ½ cup of the spaghetti squash on opposite side of the arugula.
- Lay trout fillet on top of squash and arugula. Add sautéed vegetables on top of the trout and garnish with lentils.
- Drizzle with Asian sesame dressing on top of the vegetables and fish.